Comfort food alert!
This recipe combines three of my favorite things: macaroni and cheese, Michigan, and Pinterest.
Pinterest is the place to go for new trendy recipes, but it also has a huge wealth of family classics, like this super cheesy homemade macaroni that’s already making my mouth water. In fact, according to HelloGiggles, this particular Michigan blog’s recipe is the most-pinned Mac and Cheese recipe on the site—more than 400,000 pins!
And if the opinion of 400,000 doesn’t convince you, maybe this photo will:
So. Much. Cheese. ???? ???? ????
So, what do you need?
- 1 lb. pasta (cavatappi is my fun favorite)
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk (whole will be the creamiest)
- 6 cups shredded cheese (cheddar is a great start, but experiment with combos of gouda, havarti and parmesan if you like)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- Topping: 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
How do you make it?
- Cook pasta according to instructions
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour and whisk for 2–3 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper (to taste) and slowly whisk in the milk. Heat to a low boil until thick and remove from heat.
- Grease a 9×13 baking pan and add drained pasta.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on the top and cover with cream sauce. Stir together.
- Melt the 2 tablespoons of topping butter over medium heat and add crumbs, stirring constantly for 3–5 minutes until golden brown.
- Pour over the pasta and bake at 325 degrees for 12–15 minutes
- Devour all that cheesy goodness!
The recipe also recommends frying leftovers (if you have any) in unflavored coconut oil to make a crunchy-but-gooey treat.